What are your weight-control goals?
My first and most important goal is to be healthy so I can be a better mother, live longer for my kids and reap the benefits of having a young family. I want to be able to keep up with my large family. I want to lead my tribe, not tag along.
What is your motivation for losing weight?
Like all women, I want to look good! I also want to be as healthy as I can be. I first decided to get on the scales because I was having chest pain, which I knew couldn't be good. My diabetes was out of control. I was a mess physically, and I worried that the next chest pain episode may have killed me; I didn't want that.
I had no idea I weighed almost 100 kilos. The last time I weighed myself I was 80 kilos! So that was the start of the rest of my life, and I've never looked back since. I thought that it was a case of lose weight or be prepared to die, simple as that.
What is your weight-loss method?
Being honest with myself was my main weight-loss method. I was very overweight and I chose to live in ignorance. Now I use the CalorieKing Food and Exercise Diary to log all my meals.
I buy lots of high fibre/low carb veggies, and high protein/lower carb/low-fat foods.
I weigh almost everything I eat.
Lose weight online with
Did you know that you can lose weight online using our powerful online diet diary, food database and enrolment into the CalorieKing.com.au Program?
Learn more about the benefits
of joining our online club.
What obstacles have you encountered while losing weight?
I haven't had many obstacles. My family and friends have been mostly very supportive, but I always knew this was something I had to do for myself. I ignore temptations they put in front of me, and I continue to keep disciplined.
What tips do you have for others who are trying to lose weight?
- Eat breakfast! So many busy mums and dads don't stop to eat a good breakfast. Make your family wait the few extra minutes it takes to start your day on the right track!
- Have the power to say "no thank you".
- Don't starve yourself, but be willing to make a few sacrifices for a while.
- Detox from take-away foods for a short time - your body will thank you!
- Treat youself sometimes, it will feel much more special.
- Get moving! Join a gym or convert your living room like I did.
- Walk instead of drive.
- Hang the washing on the line instead of using the clothes dryer.
- Record the calorie content of your foods and drinks - they all add up!
- My most important tip is to let go of the stigma of that number on the scales. It's only a number, so why do we let it consume us in regards to obesity? I told everyone that I weighed almost 100 kilos, and I felt such a huge burden lift from my shoulders. I let go of 15 years of guilt and I started to change that number. I hope to lose another 10 kilos, and can't see any reason why it won't happen.
How do you feel now that you're achieving success?
Words cannot describe how I feel every day now. I have a major sense of achievement. I feel very proud of myself - I have never lost this much weight and kept it off this long before.
My thoughts are in a different place now; I don't think of my weight loss as a quick fix measure, it's a lifestyle change that I will always keep on top of.
I don't crave junk food now; it just reminds me of what I have achieved, and how easily it can be taken away from me.
How have the products or services offered by CalorieKing.com.au helped you to lose weight?
I don't know what I'd do if the CalorieKing Food and Exercise Diary wasn't available anymore! Having said that, if for some reason I wasn't able to use it, I have faith that I have learned enough from using it to keep my weight under control. I love this diary, and I love the CalorieKing Australia website and forums. I think they are worth their weight in gold! I get invaluable encouragement from people I don't even know on the forums. I would 100% recommend www.CalorieKing.com.au to anyone. Thank you CalorieKing Australia.