What were your weight-control goals?
My weight control goal is to reduce my body fat percentage to what is considered lean, and to gain lean muscle tissue. I thought 80 kilos would have been enough, but I wasn't satisfied. I'm now 75 kilos and I will continue to work on building muscle to not look skinny.
What motivated you to lose weight?
Seeing a photo of myself topless on a beach is what motivated me to lose weight. I knew I had gained a few kilos (I maintained 93 kilos for several years) but I was shocked when I saw what I really looked like.
What was your weight-loss method?
I worked out how many kilojoules it took to maintain my current weight, reduced it by 15 to 30 per cent and then divided it into six meals a day. During the last couple of months I had to weigh every meal to count kilojoules accurately.
As far as exercise goes, I lift weights four days a week. I gradually increased my cardio from three walks a week in the beginning to running five mornings a week. I now run every morning and five evenings, and I increased my weight training intensity. It takes a BIG commitment.
Lose weight online with
Did you know that you can lose weight online using our powerful online diet diary, food database and enrolment into the CalorieKing.com.au Program?
Learn more about the benefits
of joining our online club.
What were some obstacles you encountered while losing weight?
When going into town I have to pack meals as it is damn near impossible to work out how many kilojoules are in take-away meals. I'm also a vegetarian, which makes my choices very limited when eating out.
I have two kids, so to do my cardio I need to get-up at 4am every morning! My first meal is at 6am in order to fit-in six meals a day.
What tips do you have for others who are trying to lose weight?
- Train hard - fat loss doesn't come from a magic pill.
- Stop blaming factors such as lack of time to exercise - MAKE TIME! Get off your butt and spend the couple of hours you watch bad TV to go and work-up a sweat instead.
- Eating five to six small meals a day instead of eating three large meals speeds up your metabolism and increases fat loss.
- Weight train, as the more muscle you have the more kilojoules you burn at rest. Don't quit when you reach your goal! Fat loss and weight maintainance is for life.
- "Going on a diet" means it ends and you go back to the eating habits you had when you were fat. Don't diet, completely change your eating habits and lifestyle. Make a COMMITMENT and STICK TO IT!
- It's been good to be accountable to someone each week. I would be embarrased if I didn't lose any weight each week, so I would push myself further and harder.
How do you feel now that you've lost weight?
I need new clothes! Even clothes I bought during my weight loss are way too big for me now. I've gone from a size extra large to a size small.
My resting heart rate is about 40 beats per minute, and the heart murmours I used to have before I lost the weight have gone.
It's still hard to understand that when people now look at me at the beach or pool, it's because I'm DAMN HOT not because I'm a jelly roll! I'm still a little self conscious, although it is all purely psychological.
How have the products or services offered by CalorieKing.com.au helped you to lose weight?
I used the CalorieKing Australia website to work-out the kilojoule content of various foods. I have the food kilojoule content per gram written on my kitchen wall in chalk. :-)
You too can be a success story!