What are your weight-control goals?
I try to eat between 1400 and 1500 Calories a day. I'm also trying to increase my protein. One thing CK has shown me is I wasn't getting enough protein and on the weeks when I eat more I have the greatest losses and I get better muscle tone.
What is your motivation for losing weight?
I don't want to have health problems later in life that are caused by being overweight. I figured now was the time to do something about it before it got out of hand.
What is your weight-loss method?
I write down everything I eat. That way I can work out what foods are causing me troubles, whether it be that they're too high in calories, carbohydrates, salt or fat. I find it hard to do 30 mins exercise every day but I set myself little targets and I have been exercising more and more.
Letting my friends know about my goals has also been a great help. Some of the friends who I used to meet up with for dinner during the week now meet up with me for a walk, swim or a game of squash.
Lose weight online with
Did you know that you can lose weight online using our powerful online diet diary, food database and enrolment into the CalorieKing.com.au Program?
Learn more about the benefits
of joining our online club.
What obstacles have you encountered while losing weight?
I've found there are some people who are quite against me losing weight. I think they have their own fears associated with weight loss. I try to explain to them that I'm doing this for my health and wellbeing and that I'm doing this in a very safe and controlled way.
Also, every third week I am on call for work and my routine goes out the window. On these weeks I just try to eat well and walk for 30 minutes in the evenings on my way home from work.
What tips do you have for others who are trying to lose weight?
Food-wise: I think the most important thing is to get into the habit of writing your foods down in the Food and Exercise Diary. Don't worry about the calories in the first week, review your Diary at the end of each week and then make a plan for the next week substituting a healthier option everywhere you go wrong. Sometimes it helps to write down everything you're going to eat that day before you eat it. If you're about to head outside to buy lunch, try writing your options in your Diary first.
Exercise-wise: Finding something interesting to do for exercise is great too. I took up dancing again which is 2 hours of hard work but I hardly notice when I'm concentrating on the steps. If you get to the end of the day and notice you've gone over your calorie intake it's never too late to remedy it! You can always make up for it by getting some extra exercise in. Plus, you'll feel better for it. Otherwise: Get active in the forums! I only discovered the forums after being here for a couple of months but since then I've found the encouragement of the other CK users to be so motivational. When I have a problem there's always someone else there who has had a similar problem before.
How do you feel now that you're achieving success?
I feel so positive now that I'm losing weight! I previously lost 9kg on another program where all my meals were delivered to me but at the end I felt like I couldn't maintain the loss without being on the program. I slowly put on 4kg after coming off the program, which is where I was when I started CK. At the moment I feel like I can achieve my goal and then keep the weight off because it's all up to me. The changes I'm making to my eating and exercising habits are maintainable.
How have the products or services offered by CalorieKing.com.au helped you to lose weight?
- The Food and Exercise Diary has been the greatest thing for me! Before I started to use it I was trying to keep track of calories in spreadsheets which was impossible to maintain. After a while using CK, I've been able to go out for dinner and estimate the calories in a meal with disturbing accuracy!
- The CalorieKing University has some great reading in it. I haven't graduated yet but look forward to reading more.
- There are also the great people in the Forums who are so nice, funny and full of advice and encouragement. There are some great groups there like a recipe group I have joined.
- I like to browse the recipe and exercise articles every now and then.
- Also the interactive-tools section is great for helping to see what is a healthy weight range or amount of calories to be eating as well as things like what exercise I can do for 30 mins to burn off 300 calories.
- I really enjoy the charts and reports you receive as a member as I am a HUGE geek and love being able to see my progress in chart form. I also check my food intake in my Diary almost daily to make sure I'm getting enough protein.
Yep, I've used nearly all of the CalorieKing site!